Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Washington DC trip
My son just returned from his class trip to Washington DC. It was his first overnight trip without any relatives along. He had a great time. He returned home late Thursday night. There were 4 buses full of 8th graders. One of the buses kept breaking down. And the other one had a flat tire. So they piled the kids into 3 buses. On Friday, we went to Outback for dinner. Nick hadn't eaten that well during the DC trip so he wanted a "good" meal. While we were at dinner, Jeff and I were telling of our experiences when we went to DC on family trips. Jeff went when he was about 10 years old. I was only 2 when my family visited DC. I told the story of how I got stung by a bee while playing on the White House lawn. Nick thought that was pretty funny. That was nothing. I'd saved the best story for last. In the summer of 1962, there was no such thing as car seats for kids. I used to stand on the bench seat in front between my mom and dad. I remember wrapping my arms behind my dad's shoulders in order to "hang on". Well, while my dad was driving in DC traffic, he hit the breaks really hard and I went flying into the windshield and dashboard. I hit the windshield so hard that I cracked it! Needless to say, I was crying and had a huge bump on my head. They decided a trip to the ER was necessary to make sure I didn't have some permanent damage. This is where Nick and Jeff are laughing hysterically during my story. Their comments of "so that's why you're so strange" and "so that explains it" did nothing to comfort me while telling the story. So we went to the ER and I got checked out. Apparently I have a very hard head and everything was fine. Of course, dad was mad because he had to get a new windshield. The other part of the DC story that I shared with Jeff and Nick was the story of how we were at the hotel in Arlington, VA and saw my grandpa and Aunt Frances in the parking lot. We didn't even know they were going to be in the area! How cool. Well, apparently my sister and brother and I were running up and down the hallway at 8:00 am in the morning and someone complained. So we got in trouble. Ok so now let's do the math: my sister was 8, brother 5 and I'm 2 and we're all running up and down the hallway? Where the heck were my parents at 8 am? Jeeze! I'm guessing that my brother was chasing my sister and I was trying to keep up with both of them. I'd also guess that there was more screaming going on than actual running noise. And that's what bothered the other guests. So that was my Washington DC trip. I told them that I'd love to go back and hopefully I'll have better memories of our trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment